Pages

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Japan Trip 2011- Day 3




Exploring Yokosuka

As I write this next post I am sitting at the computer desk, feet crippled beneath me; each of them with a large blister throbbing to the surface. Tonight I decided to get out and explore Yokosuka after failing miserably the evening before when my quick "nap" turned into a 6hr slumber (I'm still blaming it on jet lag, however, I've been known to do things like that back home on occasion).

So anyway... a shower, fresh make up, and probably 20 minutes of rifling through my clothes--most of which are work clothes--I decided I could venture out into the company of the brilliantly dresses and fabulously styled Yokosuka locals. Thinking of just strolling through the city streets taking pictures (unleashing my creeper-style, crazy tourist) and stopping for dinner at whichever restaurant looked the most intriguing, I prepared myself with a camera, a wallet full of yen, and my proper government IDs.

And I was in heaven! So many stores, signs, lights, delicious foods! You name it... I took a picture of it. My problem is that I'm not a very good photographer to begin with and stopping on a crowded Japanese sidewalk for "profile pic photo op" is difficult. Half of my photos came out blurry because I didn't want to be crushed by oncoming pedestrian traffic or bicycles or scooters. Funny thing is I didn't see anyone else really stopping to take pictures. But I don't care! I want my pictures and I'm going to get em! Ugly American, party of one please.

Between window shopping and picture taking, I saw this really cute donut store called "Mister Donut" so I decided to celebrate my first day alone on the town I'd have a donut for dinner! I got the teddy bear--and he had this buttery cream in the middle! Probably 1 zillion calories but super fun and tasty.







After my dinner donut I got a bit turned around and spent the next 45 minutes partly exploring and partly figuring out which way was back to the Naval Base. Anyone who knows me, knows that I am directionally challenged. In an area full of towering buildings and smog with no GPS to save me... well it was an adventure. Thankfully, I had several life lines (for example all the cabs waiting around would of more than willingly taken me home for a small fee) but I wanted to find my way on my own! And I did! EVENTUALLY. I was walking for almost 3hrs :)
So now my poor blistered feet (unprepared for such a journey in their cute gold/silver braided Born sandals) are celebrating the victory of finding the way home!

Here are a few of the pictures I snapped along the way... Goodnight friends!








Look at the cute Kewpie Doll key chain I found at the 100 yen store












Almost every restaurant has a window of plastic food so you can easily see and point out your menu choice! I had the chicken cutlet curry the other day from CoCo Curry. YUMMY

2 comments: